Blog 16- Epileptic

ascension_fantasme_hitler_t.gif

And the heart of the story is his development, in which his relationship with his brother  David B. is captivated by the exotic Genghis Khan and the Mongol Horde—and learns a lot about them, and other cultures in general, through avid reading—his brother’s idol is Adolf Hitler. At eight or nine years of age, he draws a swastika and hangs it on his bedroom wall. None of the kids know about Nazism and the Holocaust at this point, but they are aware that it is transgressive. Jean-Christophe’s fascination is obviously related to his rising feeling of helplessness—he idolises the idea of the Führer, of being in command. This becomes especially pathetic later, when once again he tries to draw a swastika and finds himself incapable. This image represents his brothers infatuation with hitler and his want to be like him

One Response to Blog 16- Epileptic

1. Jennifer Lee says:

Wow, that was an awesome interpretation. I remember when I read it, I was annoyed that he idolized Hitler and his parents allowed him to choose a brutal dictator as an idol. I never considered it as a symbol. Thanks for the insight!